LET'S TALK ABOUT: CRAZY RICH ASIANS

Thursday, August 16, 2018


I waited for this film for months since I knew that they are going to make a movie out of the book. I was aware of the book for a couple of years, but never got the chance to read it. I am not really a book type of person, I am more of a movie person.
Okay, before I get to this movie review if you would call, I am not a movie expert or something. I am just going to say what I felt after the movie.

!!! DO NOT READ BEYOND THIS POINT IF YOU DO NOT WANT ANY SPOILERS !!!

! I WARNED YOU !

! SPOILERS SOON !

! I WARNED YOU !

=========
=========
=========
=========



The story began in London (I forgot the year, but they would show this separate screen telling you the  year and location) where a Chinese lady trying to check-in in a hotel. The hotel staff were grossed out because her family and herself were all wet due to the rain shower. She asked a staff if she could use the phone to call her husband, but was directed to a telephone booth outside of the hotel. Now, this part was kinda confusing for me since I was a little bit sleepy lol. These scenes went by really quick. The Chinese lady, was apparently the wife of the highly respected guest that was currently in the hotel. He said that 'Oh she is now the owner of -something something in Singapore- I am not sure what he exactly said. The lady and her kids smiled at the staff and said non verbatim, "Oh the floor is dirty, please clean it" and went inside the elevator. To be completely honest, this was one of my favourite parts of the movie. It was so iconic. Lesson learned---- Always be nice to people.

The film made me feel really proud because of the all Asian cast. This does not happen often, so I was really excited for this film. The cinematography was great! I loved how they captured the nightlife in Singapore, and it makes me wanna go there. The music that were used were mainly in a different language. Maybe they were using different Asian languages, but I am not sure since I do not understand the language in their used musical scorings/soundtrack.

Okay, I was expecting their extravagant lifestyle. Well, maybe even more in some way? I could not really point out which one, but I think they should have shown what a real "CRAZY RICH ASIAN" is. There is something that is lacking as you watch the film. It was not really that crazy rich. There are more films out there that showed literally crazy rich asians better than this film.

The turning point of the film was when Nick's mom (Eleonor) was not approve of him marrying Rachel since she (Rachel) grew up in America. She had traits that is usual for Americans where his mom do not really like about. The Youngs had a reputation to preserve that is why they did not want Rachel to be a part of the family----- at first ;) For me, this part was the most realistic part of the film. Yes, most rich Asian families choose to have a perfect daughter/son in-law that could carry on their fortune. Someone who had a perfect family background that has the same family standards as them.

Oh! My most favourite part of the film of course was the Mahjong session of Rachel and Eleonor! That was sooooo gooooddd! Okay, I'll just let you watch the film for this lol

The film ended happily at the top of the Marina Bay Sands in Singapore. To be honest, the film was kinda short for me which is unusual. I wanted more of it. It makes sense because there is a second book after Crazy Rich Asians, and I will for sure wait for it.

Overall, I think that the movie was very very very good, but not perfect. I am quite a bit down or disappointed because the movie did not show any diversity within different Asian cultures and how ''rich'' they are based on the title. They mainly focused on the Chinese culture.
Maybe because of the author's background, where he comes from a Chinese descent, and was born in Singapore. Maybe that is why the film's main setting was in Singapore. Alright, that was too much Singapores lol

I rate this movie a 9.8/10 
I highly highly recommend it. It was moving as well!
My favourite character in the film was Goh Peik Lin! LOL you'll know why when you watch the film


Please watch CRAZY RICH ASIANS! :D

~~~~~~~~
'Til the next movie!
~~~~~~~~
xo,
rj






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Current Location

Current Location

© Paradeaux 2015.

All Rights Reserved

Subscribe