10 TAGALOG SLANGS I LEARNED IN 2017

Saturday, October 28, 2017


2017 was the year where I discovered a lot of Tagalog Slangs. I learned about them, and of course I tried using it whenever I get conversations with different Filipinos. It is quite-- for the lack of a better term, "satisfying" or "cool" (I guess) whenever I use a slang word to another Filipino and they have no idea what that meant, so I end up enlightening them about the slang word that I used. Anyway, these are just some of the Tagalog Slangs that I learned in 2017!


1. TRIQQERED C ACQUOEH
- I first read this on Twitter. I did not know what this meant, I did not even understand what word it is forming.(?) I did not know what it supposed to say. It is basically when you get "triggered" by something or someone that is instigating you, then you say that "Triqqered c Acquoeh" to him/her.

2. DONT ME
- Of course, when someone is instigating you, this is how you say "Don't even start with me", the Filipino way.

3. QIQIL C ACQUOEH
- When the person is slowly getting into your nerves, you say this to him/her.

4. PABEBE
- When someone is talking like a baby. Sickeningly cute.

5. CHAROT
- I learned this from my friend. I thought she was referring to "Chicharon" (Pork Rinds), so she started laughing at me. She said, "it is the cute-r way of saying JOKE in tagalog". I'm like okay.

6. BES/BESH
- Can I cheat in here? hahahahaha. I first learned this in 2016 when I went to the Philippines, my cousins kept on saying "Bes" to each other. I asked them what it meant, and they said that it is a way of saying "Best Friend" for short.

7. JOWA
- I learned this slang from a movie trailer. It was from "Loving In Tandem" that was released this year. Luke (played by Edward Barber) said, "No one touches Shine (Maymay Entrata), she's my JOWA". So I asked my friends what it meant. It means "boyfriend or girlfriend".

8. RK
- When a person is rich, you say "RK" to him/her. R.K. meaning, Rich Kid.

AND RECENTLY, THESE TAGALOG SLANGS BLEW UP ON THE INTERNET

9. LODI
- I first read it on Twitter. At first glance, I honestly thought that it was a complete different word in English. Spell it backwards, it gives you IDOL. I discovered what it meant by myself. HashtagLodiCAcquoeh

10. PETMALU
- I knew what it meant the first time I read it. Say "Petmalu" repeatedly, and it will give you a tagalog word "Malupet". Meaning, cool, exceptional, or something that is extreme.

11. WERPA
- Like Petmalu, Werpa is Pawer when reversed. Power in English. Meaning that something is amusing, good, or strong. I heard my cousin say, "Pawer!" a couple of months ago, and now they are off to saying "Werpa" instead.


*** The words above are INFORMAL. ***

Overall, I think that there is nothing wrong when it comes to using these words on our day to day conversations with our friends and family. Just don't use them when you go to job interviews, or when you talk to your boss, it is just not formal.

IN MY OPINION, using Tagalog Slangs does not make you less of an intellectual. I am happy that modern Filipinos are using Tagalog "root words" that Millennials use today.

----

I hope you enjoyed reading this blog post!
Until next time! :D

x,
rj





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Current Location

Current Location

© Paradeaux 2015.

All Rights Reserved

Subscribe